Saturday, February 22, 2014

Napoleon, not Neapolitan

So, as I had mentioned before, I'm not really a huge fan of sweets. I like them, but I don't normally go out of my way to acquire them. However, this all becomes a lie when it comes to the napoleon at Aux Delices in Pasadena, a tiny cafe that's barely noticeable on Colorado Blvd. If I could only eat one dessert for the rest of my life, this would be it. As one who appreciates fine napoleons, I've tasted them from all sorts of places, from chinese bakeries to the Laduree and Pierre Herme located in Paris (both of which are more notable for their macarons). However the one in Pasadena is, without compare, the best I've ever had. The pastry layers are beyond flaky, and the filling is the perfect combination of cream and custard without being too sweet. HEAVENLY.

Also whenever I talked about how much I loved napoleons, many of my friends would often go "oh, I've had that flavor of ice cream before too!". No guys, that's Neapolitan.

Photo by Yeang Shin.

No comments:

Post a Comment